All men want to be healthy, and in many cases, they try and take care of themselves by watching what they eat, getting exercise on a regular basis, and managing the stress in their lives. But many men are unaware that they can also take care of their sexual health and prevent problems before they occur.
Here are 10 tips for men to keep in mind for maximum sexual health:
• Eat a healthy diet – Many men are surprised to learn that what they eat can affect their sexual performance, but it does. By eating healthy foods that are rich in nutrients and low in fats, you will keep your “sexual” system in good working order. Strive for plenty of fruits and vegetables, lean cuts of meat, whole grains and low-fat milk
• Get regular exercise – Men who live a “couch potato” lifestyle may soon find themselves with sexual problems. By “getting up and moving” you will be taking an active role in maintaining your sexual health. Check with your doctor, and then start a program of regular exercise that includes walking, cycling, jogging or whatever you find enjoyable.
• Stop smoking – Many doctors agree that smoking can be a major cause of sexual dysfunction in men. Studies have found that a majority of men who suffer from ED(erectile dysfunction) are smokers, and that smoking can also reduce sperm count and quality. Smoking damages the small arteries that feed blood to the penis, making it difficult at times to maintain an erection.
• Reduce your alcohol intake – While you may enjoy the buzz you feel when you drink alcoholic beverages, you are putting yourself at risk for ED. Alcohol may make you feel sexier by lowering inhibitions, but it also reduces libido, causes erection problems, and often times impairs the ability to have an orgasm.
• Learn to manage stress in your life – Stress can leave you feeling exhausted, worried, uptight and very nervous, and can also lead to sexual problems as well. If you allow stress to manage your life, instead of the other way around, your life will soon feel as if it is out of control. Learn stress management techniques, find ways to handle anger and sadness, and you will be doing your part to maintain your sexual health (and your sanity).
• Do Kegel exercises – Usually associated with women, Kegel exercises can increase sexual enjoyment in men as well. Kegels are a way to strengthen the muscles that connect the base of the penis with the tailbone. These muscles act to control the flow of fluids through the urethra, so by learning how to control them, you can delay ejaculation to heighten your orgasm. To learn how these muscles feel, try stopping the flow of urine the next time you urinate. These are the muscles you need to tighten, so to do Kegels, just squeeze the muscles, hold them for a few seconds, and then relax them. By contracting these muscles, you gradually build up their strength, and your pleasure
• Use lubricants – As men grow older, they often experience a gradual loss of sensitivity in their penis. Lubricants can help men with this problem to gain a freer range of motion, and increase sexual enjoyment.
• Have a yearly check-up with your doctor – It is no secret that men do not like going to the doctor, but if you want to maintain your overall (and sexual) health, you should make sure that you have a physical check up at least once a year.
• Avoid illegal substances – Unfortunately, some men will take illegal drugs to get high, thinking that it will enhance their sexual experience. But it most cases, it has the opposite effect. If you want to avoid ED, then avoid illegal substances.
• Maintain a positive attitude – Medical studies prove that men who have a positive attitude towards life also enjoy a problem free sex life as well. So, adjust your attitude to a positive one, and enjoy the benefits!